Dialed in with Elly Cortez: Canadian AeroPress Champ of 2018
Elly Cortez is an incredibly talented and dedicated barista at Show & Tell Coffee in Kitchener, Ontario. She took her brewing skills to the Canadian AeroPress Competition in October 2018 and her recipe and brewing skills took the top spot, earning her the title of Canadian AeroPress Champion!
In November 2018, she flew to Sydney, Australia, to represent Canada in the International competition and made it all the way to the semi-finals!
She graciously assembled a brew guide for us that perfectly dials in this coffee produced by Alfonso Matheus. We even were able to chat and put this brew guide in a format that’ll play through in real time for you.
What you need:
- AeroPress, paper and metal filter
- Scale and a timer
- 16g of the Alfonso Matheus ground medium-coarse
- 300g of 92 degree water
- Mug or Carafe
- Place the rubber stopper about 1/2 inch into the end of the AeroPress, flip it upside down and place it on the table so that you're looking into the chamber of the brewer.
- Put the two filters in the cap and wet the filters to remove any paper taste.
- Add the 16g of ground coffee to the AeroPress, zero the scale and start the timer.
- Pour in 40g of water for the bloom.
- At the 0:30 mark, start pouring until you reach the 200g in water weight. Stir gently, no more than three times.
- At the 1:10 mark, flip the AeroPress over onto a mug or brewing vessel and press down for about 30 seconds. Total brew time is 1:40.
“It is a very clean coffee. I found that with this brew, I got to enjoy a silkier body than on pourover. You're still getting that really cool acidity - I wouldn't say like juicy pineapple. I'd say more like candied pineapple. Like picture a pineapple that's been roasted and sitting out in the sun, all candied.” – Elly Cortez on what to expect in the cup with this brew guide